IOWA CITY — Dozens of literature-related children’s activities will highlight the second annual One Book Two Book festival, Friday through Sunday in and around Iowa City. Dubbed “A Celebration of Children’s Literature in the City of Literature,” the festival is organized by the Iowa City UNESCO City of Literature with support from the Pearson Foundation.
One Book Two Book begins at 6 p.m. Friday with the “Once Upon a Time …” dinner, created to celebrate stories written and performed by children from each elementary school in the Iowa City school district, as well as Regina and Willowwind. Students wrote their pieces based on the prompt, “Once Upon a Time I Had the Most Amazing Dream.” Best-selling author Nancy Krulik, who created the popular “Katie Kazoo Switcheroo” and “George Brown Class Clown” series, will give the keynote presentation. The Iowa Children’s Museum will provide activities and children’s book characters will make an appearance.
Tickets are $25 and are available through www.onebooktwobook.org/friday
On Saturday, the festival continues from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. with a Children’s Book Fair at the Sheraton Iowa City Hotel, 210 S. Dubuque St., and author readings at the Iowa City Public Library, 123 S. Linn St. All events are free. At the Sheraton, children can meet and greet book characters as well as various activities.
At the library, Krulik will be joined by several area authors and illustrators who will read from their work and sign books. Others appearing are Jennifer Black Reinhardt, Rebecca Janni, Maribeth Boelts, Wendy Delsol, Anne Ylvisaker, Sarah Prineas, Sharelle Byars Moranville, Eileen Boggess and Jeanette Hopkins.
Also on Saturday, a Junior High Writing Jam will be held at Capanna/The Wedge on the downtown pedestrian mall.
Book characters also will make appearances throughout the day Friday and Saturday at the Iowa City Downtown District’s ice skating rink on Iowa Avenue.
The festival concludes Sunday with a new event, “Off the Page: Children’s Favorite Storybook Professions Come to Life” held concurrently at the Iowa City, Coralville and North Liberty public libraries from 1 to 3 p.m., and will feature community members and leaders for a special interactive story time. Children can find out what it’s like to put out fires, fly a plane, race to a crime scene, bake a delicious cake and more, all from people in the community who do these things for a living. The event is free, but tickets are required. Attendees must pick up tickets during Saturday festival events at the Sheraton in downtown Iowa City.
Schedule of events:
All events are at the Sheraton Hotel, 210 S. Dubuque St. unless otherwise indicated.
- Once Upon a Time: Young Author Dinner with Guest Author Nancy Krulik, 6 p.m.
- Children’s Book Fair, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Book Drive, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Funny Face Designs, (cost per face), 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Balloon animals by Magic Dave (free), 9 a.m. to noon
- 9 a.m. to noon, “The Little Engine that Could: DUPLO Train Fun with Dan Daly.
- Synthetic Ice Skating Rink, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday on the Petacrest
- Lewis the Duck, 9:15 a.m. Saturday (free books handed out)
- Reading Road Trip with Iowa Public Television’s Dan Wardell, 9:30 a.m.
- The Dot and Ish skits with the Iowa Children’s Museum.
- Author Nancy Krulik, 10:30 a.m., Iowa City Public Library
- Book Character Meet & Greet, 11 a.m.
- Author Jennifer Black Reinhardt, 11:30 a.m., Iowa City Public Library
- Music by Adam Hartig, 11:30 a.m.
- Junior High Writing Jam — Capanna/The Wedge, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Author Rebecca Janni, noon, Iowa City library
- Presentation by guest author Maribeth Boelts, 12:30 p.m.
- Mask-making, 12:30 p.m.
- Book Character Meet & Greet, 1 p.m.
- Author Wendy Delsol, 1 p.m. library
- K-6 Student Author Signing, 1 p.m.
- “Tricksters and Animal Carnaval Parade” with The Iowa City Community Arts Carnaval Project, 1:30 p.m.
- Author Anne Ylvisaker, 1:30 p.m. Iowa City library
- Author Sarah Prineas, 2 p.m. Iowa City library
- “The Little Princess” sneak peek, a performance by Nolte Academy of Dance, 2:30 p.m.
- Author Sharelle Byars Moranville, 2:30 p.m. Iowa City library
- Author Eileen Boggess 3 p.m. Iowa City library
- Book Character Meet & Greet, 3 p.m.
- Author Jeanette Hopkins, 3:30 p.m. Iowa City library
- Off the Page: Children’s Favorite Storybrook Professions Come to Life, 1 to 3 p.m. at Coralville, Iowa City and North Liberty libraries concurrently