There are more than 185 fun things to do this weekend
in Iowa City, Cedar Rapids and Eastern Iowa. What will you be doing for fun this weekend?
Eastside Hy-Vee and Herky
- Come see Herky and the Iowa Hawkeye Cheerleaders in Cedar Rapids.
- Over the past century, few entertainers have achieved the legendary status of William H. Cosby Jr. His successes span five decades and virtually all media, remarkable accomplishments for a kid who emerged from humble beginnings in a Philly project.
St. Lawrence String Quartet
- The Salt Lake Tribune may argue the St. Lawrence String Quartet is "beyond superlatives," but we'll give it our best shot. These passionate virtuosos are known for bringing classical music to life in vivid color though dramatic performances bristling with electricity. With "a rare gift for combining interpretive spontaneity and fierce musical commitment" (New York Times), the group's lush, rounded tone and vital, alert phrasing allow them to "stretch past conventional interpretation and probe the music's imaginative limits" (Washington Post).
Girls on the Run 5k
- Our Girls on the Run 5K presented by University of Iowa Women’s Health on Saturday, November 17, 2012 is the culminating event of our 10-week, 20-lesson program, and it’s also open to the public. So whether you’re participating with Girls on the Run as a girl, a coach, an assigned Running Buddy, or if you’re just a community member who wants to run, we hope you’ll join us!
Draws for Paws
- The Cedar Valley Humane Society benefit begins at 10 a.m., one hour before kickoff of the Iowa vs. Michigan football game. For a $10 registration fee, participants receive a souvenir cup, unlimited $1 draws of Budweiser, Bud Light, or AmberBock, and one raffle ticket. Additional raffle tickets will be available for purchase. There will also be $3 Monster bombs and bottle specials throughout the game.
Iowa Poet Laureate Mary Swander and Company
- Iowa Poet Laureate Mary Swander and a small group of actors will be performing excerpts from "Farmscape: The Changing Rural Environment," a docudrama written as a part of Mary's English 557 Class. The performance will be held in the Black Box at CSPS Hall and will be followed by a book signing at New Bo Books.
The Guess Who
- The Guess Who will perform on the Event Center stage at Riverside Casino & Golf Resort on Saturday, November 17th at 9pm. Tickets are $45, $35 or $30. Tickets will be on sale on Friday, July 13th at 8am in the Gift Shop, online
at or by calling 877-677-3456.
- In April of 2010, drummer Chuck Watson (Sun Dogs) and vocalist Sean Moore joined former Seven Car Pile Up guitarists CJ Drew and Skyler Rath, bassist Adam Canady and keyboardist Riley Mullins to form the classic and 80s rock outfit, Rattlebox, in Iowa City, IA.
- Over the years, B.B. has developed one of the world's most readily identified guitar styles. He borrowed from Lonnie Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, T-Bone Walker and others, integrating his precise vocal-like string bends and his left hand vibrato, both of which have become indispensable components of rock guitarist's vocabulary.
Lorie Line & Her Fab Five
- “Immanuel” will feature glorious Christmas music, all centered around Lorie’s concert grand piano. Line will be bringing her Fab Five, which will feature new “stars” on the stage this year. Plan to bring and ring your bells as they will once again be part of this brand new and exciting holiday show!