There are more than 200 fun things to do
this weekend in Eastern Iowa. Below we highlight some of our best bets. What will you be doing this weekend?
Iowa City Song Project
- In 2012, The Englert Theatre commissioned over 30 musicians and bands to participate in the Iowa City Song Project. The goal was to engage musicians in the writing and recording of a compilation album consisting of songs inspired by experiences or impressions of Iowa City.
- Comedian Willie Farrell will perform at Penguins Comedy Club located inside The Vault. Shows Friday and Saturday night at 7:30 PM.
Around the World with Iowa Wines
- The Iowa Wine Trail invites you to “Around the World with Iowa Wines.” Each winery will serve food samples paired with the excellent Iowa made wines of the Upper Mississippi River Valley Viticulture Area.
Theatre Cedar Rapids - Underground New Play Festival
- This new play festival culminates in two weekends of staged readings and fully staged productions of original works by playwrights from or residing in the state of Iowa. Play submissions are currently being accepted for this festival now in it's third year.
Chase Garrett's Blues & Boogie Woogie Piano Stomp
- Chase Garrett’s back in town and he’s brought his signature brand of blues, boogie woogie and swing piano with him. Chase Garrett’s 3rd Annual Blues & Boogie Woogie Piano Stomp features four of the most demanded leaders in blues and boogie woogie piano from around the world today.
Harry Connick Jr
- Harry Connick Jr. and his big band will swing through the renovated Paramount Theatre, joined by Orchestra Iowa string players, for the gala reopening Nov. 3, 2012.
- On their fourteenth studio album, Beauty Queen Sister, Grammy-winning folk-rock duo Indigo Girls deliver a beautifully crafted batch of songs that revel in spirited simplicity. Alternating richly textured storytelling with moody ruminations on modern-world worries, the album reveals a fierce longing for a more idyllic existence while still celebrating the extraordinary in everyday living.
The Oak Ridge Boys
- Theirs is one of the most distinctive and recognizable sounds in the music industry. The four-part harmonies and upbeat songs of The Oak Ridge Boys have spawned dozens of Country hits and a Number One Pop smash, earned them Grammy, Dove, CMA, and ACM awards and garnered a host of other industry and fan accolades.