There are almost 200 fun things to do
this weekend in Eastern Iowa. What will you be doing?
- The critically acclaimed ensemble combines elements of folk, pop, and garage rock with big-scale composition and soaring melodies that achieve a unique kind of intimacy and honesty.
The Return of the Turkey Trot
- Participants of all ages are invited to gather at Marion High School to run or walk in the 20th Annual Return of the Turkey Trot, beginning at 9AM. As in previous years, the race will consist of an 8K run and a 4K run or walk. Trotters are welcome at the popular pancake breakfast at Marion High School after the race.
Iowa's Premier Beer, Wine and Food Expo
- This weekend event will be a melting pot for culinary enthusiasts throughout the Midwest, offering the opportunity to discover the latest cooking techniques from celebrity chefs, as well as those at the local and regional level.
Eco Film Festival
- The Eco Film Fest’s mission is to provide screenings of feature length and short films on environmental topics for the Cedar Rapids public. This year’s event will feature two full length films, Bag It and Mother Nature’s Child.
Orchestra Iowa "Homecoming"
- Orchestra Iowa makes its triumphant return to the Paramount Theatre for a homecoming performance featuring Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, Richard Strauss' Der Rosenkavalier Suite, Gunther Schullers' Seven Studies on Themes of Paul Klee, and Iowa's own Jerry Owen's Glee.
- A cappella sensations and winners of season 3 of NBC’s The Sing-Off, Pentatonix are taking instrument-free music far beyond anyone’s wildest expectations. Named after the world’s most widely recognized five-note musical scale, this vocal quintet has transformed one of pop music’s purest and most soulful expressions into an exciting future, filled with limitless sonic possibility.
Veteran Voices Reading
- An amazing reading event created and hosted by veterans. Readings to include works of fiction, poetry, memoir and letters dealing with war, the VA and homecoming. Translating the spoken word carries a strong message. Veterans of the recent and past wars want to tell their fellow citizens how everything feels about war and the military and the VA.
- Lucy Kaplansky plays a concert in celebration of the release of her highly anticipated new solo album Reunion. Hailed by the Boston Globe as the “troubadour laureate of modern city folk,” she shines on this roots-infused, alt-country tinged collection of songs about family and friends.