15th Annual Courage Ride
- 6 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- $15 – $85
- Ages 12+
Supports the Sarcoma Cancer Research Program at the University of Iowa Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center
August 17, 2019
New Location: Big Grove Brewery & Taproom, Iowa City
Pedal south of Iowa City along the scenic Iowa River to Hills, Iowa before heading west through Riverside, Iowa towards the gently rolling countryside near Kalona, Iowa. You will enjoy riding past Amish homesteads and over old stagecoach routes before returning to Big Grove for a victory party!
Courage Ride is an annual bike ride honoring the life of Seth Bailey, a courageous young man who died at age 25 from sarcoma cancer in 2003. His parents, Jackie and Tom Bailey partnered with Bicyclists of Iowa City (BIC) to create a ride that all levels of cyclists can enjoy! All proceeds from the Courage Ride go to the University of Iowa Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center Sarcoma Research Program. Since the first ride in 2005, Courage Ride has raised over $510,000 for sarcoma cancer research.To date, Courage Ride proceeds have seeded numerous sarcoma cancer research grants. Many of those grants have evolved into promising, larger scale research studies. This newfound momentum in the Sarcoma Research Program has created a lot of enthusiasm among researchers, investigators, doctors and cancer care providers at the Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center. The results are leading to new advancements, new partnerships and attracting some of the best research talent in the nation. Patient lives are being made better as a result of these research studies and the Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center is gaining worldwide recognition for its expertise in advancing sarcoma research.
ABOUT THE RIDE
- • Over 500 riders are expected to register
- • Six paved routes, ranging from a 5 mile family fun ride to a century ride (5, 18, 36.5, 51, 85, 101 miles).
- • Registration opens at 6 a.m.
- • Riders can rollout beginning at 7 a.m.
- • Includes breakfast and lunch
- • Cyclists receive detailed maps, SAG support and bike mechanics available on-site.
- • Courage Ride jerseys available to order
- • A silent auction featuring items from area businesses, organizations and craftsmen
- • Free skin cancer screenings performed by University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics dermatologists (8AM to 11AM)
- • Adult-Early Registration (through Friday, August 9th) $75
- • Adult-Week of Registration (starting Saturday, August 10) $85
- • Youth (13-17) $15
- • Children 12 & under are free.
- • Free commemorative pint glass with registration.
- • T-shirt available for purchase. Proceeds go to research program.
Visit CourageRide.org for route maps, registration information or to make a donation.
Also follow us on Facebook and Twitter!
Join us for this fun event and help us "Fight Sarcoma Cancer. Together."